MOLAP (Multidimensional Online Analytical Processing) is an online analytical processing (OLAP) that indexes directly into a multidimensional database. It processes data that is already stored in a multidimensional collection in which all possible combinations of data are reflected and each of which can be accessed directly.
Advantages of MOLAP include:
- Effective data extraction
- Fast query performance due to optimized storage, multidimensional indexing, and caching
- Compact for low dimension data sets
- Smaller sized data collection due to its compression techniques
- Natural indexing due to array models
- Automated computation of higher level aggregates of data